#feelings

FACEBOOK

Twitter

WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND?

Sex or Self-Esteem? Pick 1.

12 comments | October 17th, 2011

(story by OOC via WashingtonPost)

According to this article by Ezra Klein in The Washington Post, "young adults like and want moments that boost self esteem more than having sex, eating a favorite food, drinking or pretty much any other pleasurable activity the paper studied…

 

Participants were asked to imagine their favorite food, sexual activity and self-esteem building experience, such as getting a good grade or receiving a compliment.Then, participants asked how much they “liked” and “wanted” each of those things. The (participants) “liked” and “wanted” the self-esteem boosts more than either of the other activities."

 

(read the whole story here)

 

Apparently, these results set off "alarm bells"…which we don't really understand – mostly because (and we're no longer young adults) we agree with the participants.  Seriously, sex and good food last about the same amount of time (if you chew quickly) and self-esteem can be so much more enduring and meaningful, right?  Or no?

 

So here's our question…take the test, self-esteem or sex or good food or…what would you rather have than high self-esteem?  Tell us, si vous plait.

12 comments

  • Hilary

    Posted on October 14, 2011

    I’m going with a compliment. That can give me a boost for days!

    Report this comment

    • OOC

      Posted on October 17, 2011

      Thanks, Hilary! So here’s a question…what lasts longer for you, a compliment or a criticism? Us, compliments we dismiss, critiques can endure. Until we push them to the side. Thanks for adding your voice…

      Report this comment

  • Analeigh

    Posted on October 14, 2011

    The only people who ever tell me I’m pretty are adult women. I want a guy my own age to tell me I’m sexy.

    Report this comment

  • Anonymous

    Posted on October 17, 2011

    Good sex can boost my self esteem. I mean that seriously.

    Report this comment

  • Sunshine Daydream

    Posted on October 17, 2011

    I will take feeling good about myself over just about anything else. If I feel good about myself everything else falls into place.

    Report this comment

  • L.T.C.

    Posted on October 17, 2011

    If you consider that self esteem is feeling good about yourself and your life, than anything that makes you feel good about yourself in any kind of enduring way is good.

    If I had to choose between sex and good food, sex would win every time. Mostly because for me sex isn’t just about the climax it is about the attraction, the connection, and the emotional not just the physical. I just do not feel the same way about food no matter how good it is.

    Report this comment

  • DivaJuggalette

    Posted on October 18, 2011

    I would pick the self-esteem 90% of the time. The other 10% I would pick sex because I enjoy the feeling of a quality connection with my boyfriend (I thrive on positive relationships with others).

    Report this comment

Have a Comment? Share It. All opinions but NO judgments allowed.

MORE STORIES